Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hack - NYC Taxis



Over the summer I interned at Boston's Weekly Dig. Even though I didn't get paid, I got to attend some free events, got free beer, free redbulls, free books, free CDs and free DVDs. In fact I still haven't gotten to read or watch everything.

One book really stuck out for me though. I read Melissa Plaut's "Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What to Do With My Life and Started Driving a Yellow Cab."

What I thought was interesting about it off the bat, and I know the class will too, is that the book came to be after her blog, "New York Hack", received over 1 million unique user hits and she was subsequently offered a book deal. The blog served as her record of driving cab, dedicated solely to that.

The book was a real page turner to me. You can read my review of it here.

So keep blogging everyone! There is hope to make money from it yet! It really makes me want to start a specialized blog. One that someone will give me a book deal for doing.

Here is an interview with Plaut about how she got into driving taxis and the experience. Like many of us, in or out of college, she didn't know what she wanted to do with her life.

2 comments:

Scott Brodeur said...

The blogging glass half-full! I like it.

Andrea Murray said...

I know right? It makes it all seem worth it when you know other blogs are becoming books.

Funny how a new format goes back to an old format and only then can it make money.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com