Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"I'll eat my shoe if..."


Werner Herzog Actually Ate a Shoe

While checking out gawker last night, I came across their article about about a book critic, John Sutherland, who had once said he would eat his copy of Salman Rushdie's "Enchantress of Florence." if it didn't win the Man Booker Prize.

It turns out that it didn't, and he also says that he won't eat the book. But what else gawker said was that renowned German film maker Werner Herzog had made a bet with the same words in the past concerning his shoe. When he lost, he came through and actually ate his own shoe. I couldn't believe that someone actually had done that.

But what's even better is that they made a documentary called "Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe". He boiled the shoe for 5 hours with stock, herbs and garlic. He ate the leather of the shoe but didn't eat the sole. Claiming that when one eats a chicken that they don't eat the bone in comparison.

The entire documentary is available on google video.



A man of his word.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

dear god, he actually ate it. Interesting, I wonder what it really tasted like. An interesting bet to make-- either he was very confident that he would win, or he wasn't too phased at the thought of eating footwear.

Unknown said...

I think he was so confident that he didn't want to look like a liar when he lost the bet. ha.

Scott Brodeur said...

Man, I love Werner Herzog movies, and I had never seen/heard this before. That is absolutely awesome!

Andrea Murray said...

I was just stunned that someone had actually done it.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com